Monday, June 09, 2008

Desideratum Art Jewelry




Our place... where we work and play... up on a bluff... by the Fundy Bay...





We made our sign from a very old piece of wood from an old fallen down house... It had originally been a fairly tall baseboard... gave it a sanding... painted it... now it hangs at the side entrance to our place...




I planted the Bleeding Hearts, Dicentra spectabilis, here two years ago.... on the East side where they receive early morning sun and afternoon shade.... This is probably their third location in the gardens... this is the first year they have bloomed...
I am so pleased about that... Because before we put the little picket fence up, (which we found thrown into a ditch in two or three pieces and needing paint) the dogs thought that very spot was the fastest way to the door.... and they beat a path right through them... the delicate Bleeding Hearts were trampled... Luckily the roots were strong... they came back this year full of vigor and are blooming beautifully now...

Hopefully next year there will be even more blooms... Now that the dogs have found a new route.




The word "Desideratum" is latin for... to desire... your heart's desire or yearning... or something missing and longed for...

That is how we felt when we discovered the rugged landscape here along  Fundy... and we named our home "Desideratum" as well as our jewelry lines...

Our Logo of two bodies coming together ... "Becoming One" ... is our symbol of Continuity, Creativity and Endurance... it is what we try to achieve in our handmade jewelry and other works of art....





.........Your Heart's Desire.....





This was my hearts desire this morning.... as I looked out past the porch posts entwined with Virginia Creeper that is just beginning to come to life.... a wee bit of fog slowly beginning to drift in around the coastline... felt mystical...

...Click here to go to main DESIDERATUM blog...


13 comments:

Anet said...

Wonderful! The sign is great, how nice to give some old wood with not much of a chance, a new life! Your bleeding hearts are beautiful! Mine has come and gone already. The Chinese Lanterns did not work out:( I'll have to keep my eye out for a starter plant.
Lovely post; Hearts desires and bleeding hearts!

Sharon said...

I love getting to peek into your world a little, thanks for that. The bleeding hearts are wonderful as are your pictures of them, and that view.......Wow!

I can't think of a better logo than yours, it's perfect! A human uroboros of sorts.......

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous.

I am speechless every time I get a glimpse of your life.

Ruth said...

So the secret to beautiful bleeding hearts is trampling dogs. Good to know! You have done a great job with color balance around your place. The gray is perfect for the house, and all that sun and brightness reflecting off the water. And then touches of red that make everything sing.

What is that word Sharon wrote: uroboros, have to look it up, but I like it! Thank you for telling us the origin of the name, it's a beautiful concept. Human ingenuity makes some incredible art and crafts, and you show us that every day.

I love Virginia Creeper, and with the mystical mist in the background, you have quite a view. Great photographs!

Gwen Buchanan said...

Anet, Oh you are so lucky to have such warm days and such a longer growing season...That is one of the things I wish for...
I thought my Chinese lanterns must not have rooted, as I just planted them last fall from plants my mother gave me... But I now see about 10 new 2" tall sprouts coming up... Yeah!!

Thanks Sharon I'm glad you took a peek.. the logo was also based on the fact that since John and I got together many of our thoughts have become one... you know how you can finish the sentence of someone you know very well!!! That can be scary sometimes!! I loved your uroboros idea...

hey MamaS... Your life of travel is very magical to me... places I will never see, I get a chance to learn about!! Thanks,

Ruth, I love the way you look at life.. You have such a sensitive spirit! and are always a delight in your observations... Thank you..
Oh just let me know when you need some flower trampling and I'll send down my experienced crew...

Jazz said...

A beautiful post. I love bleeding hearts, hadn't seen any in years.

Anne said...

This looks like heaven...makes my heart ache with longing. That last view...that's a view to set a heart free. I love the flowers but especially the leaves of bleeding hearts but they don't stay alive where I am.

I don't envy people but I might envy you...enjoy your heaven!

Gwen Buchanan said...

Jazz,Thanks.. I am so glad it survived and bloomed this year.. when you garden you always hope.

Thank you Anne, You are much too flattering... glad it triggered something inside... that is how we felt when we found this hill.. it is so hard to put into words

ArtPropelled said...

Desideratum is a wonderful name for your house and your jewellery. I think it was the name that peeked my interest when I first discovered your blog. (I had the poem hanging in my room throughout boarding school).
Anne is right....you live in a little piece of heaven. Thanks for sharing ir.

Anonymous said...

NIce stuff, good and interesting articles. I actually learn something today, that I’m on
my way to try…
Thanks

sandy said...

What a beautiful area and house you have. Loved seeing the photos and reading about it. I could take many deep breaths sitting there and enjoying the vistas.

s

Gwen Buchanan said...

You're welcome Robyn, That poem keeps me balanced... well most of the time...Glad you are familiar with it too!!

Thanks Leeza

Sandy I would love you all to sit out with us and sip something tasty and just watch the world go by!

flyinamber said...

Oh,you have the bleeding hearts in your garden!Beautiful!I had those too when I lived in the house.I will plant some flowers and plants here around the small building where I live now.
Like your logo and its symbolic!