Sunday, June 15, 2008

Quote by Victor Hugo




"Invasions of Armies can be resisted

but not

Invasions of Ideas"





I have loved this quote... for so long, I can't remember....... I have had it posted in every studio space I have ever carved out for myself.....

It has such a visual presence......... They both... just keep marching on........







This page and detail are from a little book I did .... it is approx. 4" x 6½" ....made from
CP 140 lb WC paper with a circular window filled with a woven insert of its complementary color also in WC paper strips...

I used this page to represent this quote because... Blood is usually splattered when armies invade... and blood starts to flow when ideas invade......




Victor Hugo... 1802-1885... the most forceful, prolific and versatile of the French nineteenth century writers... his work includes romantic dramas... lyrical and satirical verse... political and other journalism... and several novels, the best known being "Les Miserables"...
Hugo was exiled from France, lived in the Channel Islands... returned to France in 1870... A great public figure until his death... his body lay in state under the Arc de Triomphe before being buried in the Pantheon...

15 comments:

Janice Thomson said...

"...Blood is usually splattered when armies invade... and blood starts to flow when ideas invade......" - what an excellent metaphor Gwen - if only armies could convert bloodbath into creative ideas...what a grand world this would be. Your accompanying artwork complements this quote to a tee.

Sharon said...

How true......they just plant themselves in our subconsciouses popping up and nagging until we pay attention!

Anet said...

Wouldn't "art" wars be great?! Instead of real wars.
You know, best artists wins!
We get Gwen on our side! and Sharon... and.....

Gwen Buchanan said...

Thanks Janice, you're right, if only we could all just shake hands and solve things pleasantly...


..............

Hey right, Sharon, if only we could bring all that subconscious to light.. it would be blinding...

..............

Anet, That sounds like too much fun... creative problem solving!!! sort of like the visual quest you just started... I'm loving it!

sandy said...

Well WOW...Great great image you made and I dig dig that quote.

dig -OMG I'm dating myself aren't I.

Oh well... I do dig it...

Ruth said...

I forgot to read this post after the previous one yesterday.

It IS a profound statement that Hugo made. His writings show such incredible sensitivity to the plight of the common, and uncommon man, I have to believe he was quite something in his time.

I have visited his home in the Place des Vosges in Paris, which is where I'd live too (the place) if I possibly could!

Thanks for sharing this quote. Now it's going to be in my brain too.

Gwen Buchanan said...

I dig your reply Sandy... I think we came from the same generation...

You are so lucky, Ruth, to have been there... but I guess luck is not the right word... lots of planning and decisions I should say. What an experience to go and see how history came to be...

ArtPropelled said...

I love this quote too!

William Evertson said...

The invasion of ideas- here in the US it seems only remotely possible. We seem to base our president on who we like as drinking buddies. Anyone who reads Victor Hugo is out.

Gwen Buchanan said...

I'm glad Robyn...

To bad things have become so complicated, Bill... sometimes when i allow myself to think about politics... I wonder how it could all have gone so wrong... so much distrust... where did the honesty go?

J said...

Wow, how timely!

I saw his tomb last month...will be writing about the Pantheon here shortly (#3 on my list!).

Avenue Victor Hugo is one of the streets that ends at Arc de Triomphe. In that area, each crosswalk signal is also oral (for the blind) speaking the name of that street.

That is one of the few spoken memories I have of this trip: as we crossed the street the crosswalk signal saying in French so thick we could hardly make it out in the heavy din of passing traffic:

veek-TOR ooo-GO

Gwen Buchanan said...

J, Small world isn't it!!! Sure is good to be able to share with each other!! I love your descriptions especially how the traffic signals pronounce the name Victor Hugo!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Beth! Great post... Victor Hugo is my favorite author... read Les Mis in high school and fell in love with his prose. Thanks for reminding me and the artwork is really lovely, too! Hope you are doing well!
K.

Gwen Buchanan said...

thanks so much, Having a very busy time, Kathy...Hope all is well with you too!!

Seth said...

This is truly a thought provoking quote. And the page you made is inspired as well.