Wednesday, January 09, 2008

My Interpretation of a Self-Portrait by Egon Schiele



There is something that really haunts me about the work of Egon Schiele. (Naughty stuff aside) Mostly the strong sure lines. Then the way he used color..... then the way he combined subtle and delicate to create Bold.... the importance of the eyes and hands..... The expressiveness he portrayed in each painting revealed a part of his inner spirit......





He died too young......






This is "my interpretation" of a self portrait he did. I used pencil, gouache, acrylic washes and india ink.......... He keeps us company in the living room.

approx. 15" x 18"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Egon Schiele's work! Your interpretation is fantastic! <3

mjane.love said...

Hi!
I came across your blog looking for some local jewellery makers and loved this portrait. I'm a new brunswick artist as well and I LOVE Egon Schiele, thought I'd share a similar interpretation of him a did a while ago

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjh-art/3851332466/

Gwen Buchanan said...

Thanks Sheri and Maggie... I really appreciate your checking out my work and stopping by to leave a comment... Schiele is a real inspiration... we are always left with the thoughts of what other wonders he would have created if he had lived a long life...