Tuesday, 17 March 2015

Celebrating the Green for St. Paddy's Day

This time of year we are all waiting for the GREEN .... from the glittering moss on the bluff rockface  to the entire wondrous awakening landscape...   
My blog followers may have seen some of these photographs before but this post is about GREEN and St. Paddy's Day seems as good a day as any to remember what it looks like.


 Yes, I know, mung beans aren't landscape but at least they're Green.

Last but certainly not least... can't forget this lovely Green lady that means a lot to me.. a vintage green 1968 Kenmore sewing machine.. and does she purr... Heavy as lead.. works like a charm... have to keep her busy till the other Green shows up.

Photos by Gwen Buchanan in St. Martins, New Brunswick Canada

Thursday, 5 March 2015


...during my intense working routine at this time of year, when the light is right I sometimes take a break  and find vignettes that change my point of view to something wider than the jewelry bench.

Desideratum Art and Jewelry studio, St. Martins, NB

Thursday, 12 February 2015


~ I give you my heart ~

"Boy and Girl" ... Handmade at Desideratum Art Jewelry studio. 

Sunday, 8 February 2015

The Queen of Hearts and Studio Work

Been working steady in the studio these days 
It's the perfect time of year to design new work and build up stock.

My neck of the woods... working on the newest version of "Two Crows/Joy"

 They haven't been polished or finished yet, just prototypes... but I like them.

John's home territory...  working on little goblets... tiny pieces for big hands ... the red shirt on the floor is one of Max's old shirts and the dogs love to sleep on it.. I think they can still catch his scent.  

New stone bead drops

I love the texture of the Ocean Swirl and wood bark together.

 a new Treble clef stud added this year

A new version of The Muses... forged copper with wrapped silver

 More new stone earrings

 These were fun to do... 

 Sterling and olive Czech glass

 Rolling Mill and copper cuttings

Hammering the pieces flat 

... a pair of earrings requested by my youngest sister

 working in the living room one evening by the woodstove

 ... always love how the sunlight spotlights the beauty.

Take care everybody and stay warm. xo

Desideratum Art Jewelry, St. Martins, NB

Tuesday, 20 January 2015

Finishing the Carnival Quilt and Back to Making Jewelry

Love close ups of  fabric showing its warp and weft... and texture...and varying colors of white and off white.  Love the little dimples the stitches make.

I used Gutterman 100% cotton black Quilting thread.. 2 full spools of 220 yds. Beautiful strong thread to work with... hardly ever tangled.

I was really happy about that little narrow 1/4" strip that runs all around in the middle of the border... such a small fabric slice makes such a difference.

The tools of the trade... pretty simple.

There were 7 rows of 7 blocks.. I kept winding it forward on one side and backward on the other side as my quilting frames were just a bit too small for it to be all wound out at once.

On the home run now and later that day I had it out of the frames. Good thing cause I had a bit of catching up on a few other things.. The thing is when I get myself into a project, I really hate to leave it till I'm done. I am always anxious to see how it will turn out.  I did get used to the brightness of it from spending so much time with it and it grew on me... and I was glad I kept pushing forward with each stage.

Had to pause from the quilting to work on some jewelry.
Lots of stones, Crystals, Jasper, Fresh Water Pearls... would up and ready for dangles on some designs in our Earth Collection.

They are all strung on a wire so they stay in order and don't get all messed up in the storage drawer.

A Girl and her Flower Garden design

Back to the quilt..  All the binding strips have been cut and stitched together, then folded and pressed double.
 I did that on my last quilt and I really liked the density of it and figure it will wear a good long time. I'm sure it will outlast me.

Working on the back side and hand-hemming the double thickness binding in place.  I am happy that I used the black quilting thread and how the stitching shows up on the pale gold patterned back. 
 I wasn't sure how it would look, as I never quilted any of my quilts with black before.. but I would do it again if the colors worked for it. 

It is easier to see the design here that runs all around the border of the quilt. It represents the waves along the Fundy shore ...  a connection to our landscape. 
I want to remember that it was made here.

Well here she is. Resting on the spare bed.  The quilt is fairly large, probably would fit on a queen size bed nicely but it is here draping down the sides of a 3/4.  
I think it looks best in a very spare room where there is nothing to clash with it... cause it wants to take over any room its in.

It will be a while before I can put all my effort into the next quilt... as making new designs and "building up jewelry stock" season is here. 
Cheers for now.
ps. That is John's painting above the bed... his interpretation of the recognizable "Hands",  of Adam and God from the Sistine Chapel.