Saturday, January 11, 2014

Expressive Drawing

Untitled...  by my son, Max Ackerson


Expressive drawing is the form of art that I am drawn to the most.
I want to feel what the artist feels and what the subject portrays.
I want to have a reaction.... to ponder.
I want it to capture me... to make me spend time with it. 
I want it to draw me in... to make me examine it deeper.
 I want to search out the lines... 'till my senses absorb the message.


I feel Max achieved a beautiful sense of Expressiveness in this drawing...
It is so very sensitively done.
...maybe I am a bit prejudiced, being his mother but I believe he did a magnificent job.


Actual drawing size: 6 1/2" x 10" plus mat, charcoal, conte on colored Canson paper. 

Max turned 20 years old on Christmas Day, 2013.  He has drawn "constantly" all his life and is presently attending the College of Craft and Design in Fredericton, New Brunswick, in his first year and enjoying every minute.
 

15 comments:

Arija said...

In this case Gwen, you are not prejudiced in the least. That drawing of Max's SPEAKS! He has captured the character and life experience with Sympathy and sensitivity. BRAVO!!!

Faye Henry said...

Talent certainly runs in your family, Gwen.. It is an awesome work.. I find it hard to believe that he is twenty already.. I remember him being just a wee lad when I first met you.. Time has a way of getting away from us.. xo

Shelley said...

Very well done Max. You always had the ability to capture and project the personality of those you drew. You ignite the imagination and bring feeling both from your sketch/drawing and from those enjoying the Artist that you are. It does also, I believe, run in the family each of you are very creative.

George said...

Very well done, Gwen and Max. Beautifully rendered and very evocative.

Priya Sebastian said...

A superb drawing. Beautifully composed and drawn with strength as well as sensitivity. This is the sort of image that one keeps coming back to look at.

cathyswatercolors said...

Not prejudiced at all great expressive drawing.

Guillaume said...

This is beautiful.

Steven Cain said...

You are right... magnificent!

^.^ said...

I'm speechless ... wonderful drawing ... tears ...

Seth said...

Impressive, emotional, powerful. These are just some of the adjectives that come to mind. Max has continued to grow as an artist. And as I have always said, talent runs in the family.

sandy said...

Max did great! Fabulous job and no wonder with you and John as parents - your artistic natures run deep I'm sure.

I remember back in the day when Max would do his videos - i usually watched every one even if i didn't comment.

Joanna said...

A very mature drawing for one so young, I would say. Obviously talent for expressive drawing runs n the family. Great to hear that he is pursuing his art.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful responses on Max's work.

When I show this to him I know he will greatly appreciate you taking the time to view his work and your encouragement! xo

Shelley Whiting's art said...

There is a lot of poetry and drama in his face. A very emotional and compelling piece.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Thank you Shelley Whiting, It moved me and I was quite struck. Max does put a fair amount of time into his poetry as well. perhaps it comes through. The way artists express them selves can be transferred to many forms .. I appreciate your comment.