Sunday, November 16, 2014

Finishing the Wild Goose Chase Quilt - The Binding



Part 3:  Done!!  I am happy to report that I finished the Wild Goose Chase Quilt on Oct.8, 2014 but I have just finally had a chance to post about it now... 
I was busy working on a number of Christmas orders for our Art Jewelry from lovely shops and customers.  Thank you All...  very much appreciated!

  I really enjoyed making this Quilt. By the time I was done, it was like an old friend. After all, we spent a lot of time together.
 ***
For anyone who would like to see the beginning phases of making this, here are the links to the first two posts on it..
***
... and Here are a few pics of the steps in finishing it.
  This was the day I put the last quilting stitches in.

 The clamps and end frames are off.

 Time to unroll it and take the basting stitches out of the cloth along the long side frames.

 Ready to unroll and reveal everything that was all wound around them for the last few months.
The backing just happened to be larger than the front so now that needs to be trimmed to size... and saved of course. 
I'm sure it will find its way into another quilt one day.

 I'm using red for the binding, so I laid it out and measured 2'' strips and cut them out.

  The strips were all sewn together into one very long strip with a bias seam... then trimmed to about 1/4".
.. this keeps the bulk to a minimum and the binding smooth.
...the seams were pressed open... then the entire length of about 30 feet was folded in half width-wise and pressed.

 I used the 1977 Kenmore Convertible Freearm sewing machine (the one I used to make the shirts for Max) to do the stitching around the border of the quilt. 
It was quite a bit to manuever the whole quilt but I was only going around the edge so it wasn't too bad.

 I lined the binding up with the edges of the quilt fabric layers and used about a 3/8" seam and stitched through everything.

 ...extra binding was left at the corners to allow for mitering the corner.

... had no problems with the stitching... all went smoothly.


I worked late in the studio to finish this step before I went to bed. I wanted to be ready for a fresh start in the morning.

And what a morning it was when I awoke to this dramatic sunrise out over the Bay... 
What Beauty!  I love these sunrises!!!
*that lump on the horizon is the Isle of Haute about 24 miles away*

...then a while later the sky turned to this delicate combination.  Still so beautiful... but so different... in such a short period of time.
It is the "getting up early" reward.

After that exquisite distraction, back to business... It will be finished today.
... here I am trimming the edges again, to get ready to fold over the doubled layer of binding. The doubled layer makes a much longer lasting binding and easier and faster to hem too, as there is no raw edge to turn in.

 I folded the binding over to the back and used a blind hemstitch to work the edge.

 All Done.

Here it is displayed on an antique double bed given to Max by our friends, Mary and George, when they moved.  I like the way they look together. 
Hope Max enjoys it for a long time.


***
Recently I was tagged by my friend Janice at Dancing with Sunflowers  to do a post on What I am working on and How do I create ... generally What is your creative process. Well since I am a very casual person, not formal at all,  I just go with the flow. I like to envision one art form translated into other mediums and try to understand and figure out how to accomplish it. I like the challenge of creating something from scratch.. and I do love functionality.  But being so informal I will use this post as my answer. Please visit my friend Janice, a very accomplished artist and needleworker and much more.

All for now from the Desideratum Art Studio up on the bluff in St. Martins, NB.

28 comments:

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

A Real Stunner!

Linda H said...

Gwen, it is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!! You have done a wonderful job. Finishing that binding feels great, doesn't it? Such a sense of accomplishment! Red and white quilts are a very old New Brunswick tradition... :)
Hope you'll protect it from that sunny window or it will soon be faded. :(

Gwen Buchanan said...

Thank you Sue!

Thank you Linda, You are right about the sun... old Sol is powerful. we usually keep these drapes closed by the bed but I opened them for the pic. The sunbeams will have to find another spot to shine in.

ELFI said...

quel travail! et à la fin :un chef d'oeuvre! superbe

Arija said...

I am speechless at the wonder you have created.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Elfi, Thank you, I'm searching in my fabric stash now to see what the next project will be.

Arija, you are too kind. Wouldn't it have been cool to use actual sheep's wool as the interlayer... even if it is never seen again.

A Heron's View said...

Oh well done Gwen it looks like a good aid to a great sleep.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Mel, that is a great way to look at it.. I hope he always remembers, it is filled with Love.

Maya Sara Matthew said...

wow! thank you for taking us along on the journey.
That red and white is so gorgeous. Striking like the beautiful sunrise you witnessed. You truly live in one of the most beautiful spots in this world.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Thanks Maya, for coming along with me... It is nice to share with the world... I know I enjoy all the loveliness that you and others share.

Valerianna said...

Wonderufl... I'm so not a sewer, can't even imagine making a quilt, but of course, I could spend endless hours painting.

Guillaume said...

Beautiful work.

Carol Steel said...

It is gorgeous. What a work of art and of love. It is inspiring, but alas I've tried quilting and am not good at it...at all. Congratulations on this wonder, this fabric creation, this art.

Steven Cain said...

It's making me sleepy.
Beautiful, Gwen, and yes, a perfect match for that bed.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Valerianna, Yes indeed, Creativity has so many forms of expression for each one of us and they all feel so good! makes for an exciting world.

Thank you Guillaume. Is it cold enough across the sea for warm blankets yet. it is here.

Thank you Carol, I love to hear that you tried quilting. I bet you were much better at it than you thought!

Thanks Steven, All that is needed is a lullaby or a bedtime story... I think you have that covered.

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

It is absolutely gorgeous Gwen. Beautiful in its own right and a perfect partner for Max's bed. Looks fantastic in his room. Really enjoyed the 'tutorial'. Double binding.... an excellent idea! Thank you.

WILDSIDE said...

tried to leave a comment yesterday, but failed!

So today: Exquisite. As per your norm, Gwen!

Gwen Buchanan said...

Thank you Janice, I am really getting antsy to have another one in the frames.. I'm thinking a colorful patchwork next time to use up a lot of scraps.

Thanks for persevering Wildside.. Computers and the internet sometimes have minds of there own.

Jane Brideson said...

Your finished quilt is stunning and your photo makes me way to curl up underneath and dream the winter away.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Thank you so much Jane, It would be pretty cosy snuggled in there.

Shelley said...

Beautiful Gwen! So nice to see Pirate as well. Miss you my friend. Do take care.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Thanks Shelley, Pirate is always searching out the sunny spots.
Note: You and I will have to get our ex-ray vision perked up to see under snow and in the dark.

MILLY said...

What a beautiful quilt. I loved that you documented it's story from start to finish. I just read it all and enjoyed seeing the photographs. I loved that you sewed it on the old sewing machines.
I always love the reverse side of the quilt top, often think all the hems and the stitching are fascinating and seems sad to cover them up.
Thank you it was a pleasure to share your amazing workmanship. It looks wonderful on the bed and so inviting. A great achievement, well done.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Milly, Thank you so much for your beautiful heartfelt comment. I really appreciate it. Many times I feel maybe I go too far with details but I know how much I love to see how other people do things that I hoped others would feel the same with this. I know from your beautiful drawings and paintings that you are one of the detail people too and your work is amazing!! Thank you.

jerilanders said...

Gwen! I was with you from the beginning on this quilt project. What a tremendous accomplishment! People always think I have patience, but I really don't think I could have sewn all those small bits and pieces with such precise perfection as you have done. It is a masterpiece and I love the use of the red and white ticking as the backing. Really fantastic job, I enjoyed the journey!

Gwen Buchanan said...

Thanks Jeri.. but you aren't kidding me.. with the utterly amazing creations you make, you have the patience of a saint! xo

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

That is absolutely stunning! Really do love it.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Thank you so much Elizabeth.. I appreciate you coming over to see my progress. cheers.