Monday, November 04, 2019

Garlic Harvesting and Planting 2019


The garlic has been hanging in the kitchen since August... at first it was lying on a large wire rack airing.. it took up a lot of space so it could not stay that way for long.



turned out great.. 106 nice large "Music" hardneck garlic bulbs


the roots on a couple of them had grown through the composted tea bags... so tea bags do eventually rot.


I eventually had to trim off the drying leaves as they kept making a mess on the floor. they look a lot better now all pruned up and hung in a beam over in the corner out of the way. 


and man o man are they flavourful!


A couple scapes were allowed to go to seed and produced these little seedlets.. so cute!


and one of the seedheads grew into mini clovettes


 last year I felt I waited too long as Oct. had been very rainy and cold so when I planted, the ground was wet and mucky... not fun... not taking any chances this year and planted them the first week of Oct...( yes this is late to post) so I prepped the garlic cloves, John tilled up a space and  added compost...


 then I popped in the garlic with a good sprinkle of bone meal, covered about 1 - 1 1/2" of soil and spread straw on top.. Very happy to have them in... such an easy crop...





A farmer up the road 10 minutes had straw for sale so we got a few bales. 


 nothing to do now but wait for next years harvest.... oh, planted 103 bulbs...


On another note, as the year progressed the leaves were brilliant, wish I had more pics of them... they stayed on the branches a long time this year... at last I thought so... till the Oct storms came through.

They are gone now till the spring... 
...so to hold the memories of the gorgeous summer, we will be adding garlic to as many things as we can think of. 
Cheerio and Be Happy!

11 comments:

^.^ said...

Awesome post again, friend Gwen. I don't planting garlic in the fall would work here in Alberta. I usually put mine in when the frost is out of the soil, which is mid May. I love the pic with the hanging garlic and am imagining the fragrance in the room and the meals prepared with them … yum! … and Go Keto :) How is the Keto life style going for you? I am at the point where I want to stop losing weight but continue staying to eat that way. Love, cat.

Guillaume said...

So you will be safe from vampires (sorry I had to say this lousy joke). More seriously, it looks delicious.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i really must try your garlic planting technique. my heads are always so small. i use tons of garlic. i also make a lot of scape butter and freeze it to use it all winter long. our leaves are still hanging on and are only now changing color. so very weird that it's this late. we might see our first snow on friday. i am so excited! i sketched those same "creation' hands in pencil during my first semester in college. i've always given all of my art away as fast as i create it. i wonder where those hands are now!

Gwen Buchanan said...

Hi Cat, one of my fav uses of garlic is minced with potatoes with lots of butter... Yummm. I never had luck with garlic where I lived before and so gave up on trying to grow it, but it seems to like the climate here much better (2hrs inland) and am super happy with the results. Had to move from strict Keto to a reasonable Low Carb for maintenance so I could stop losing weight myself...once you are in a habit of eating that way the weight really falls off quickly.. of course we were doing Intermittent Fasting along with the Keto and man does that work.. How are you doing it? Cheerio

Gwen Buchanan said...

Guillaume you are so right!!! lol... the vampires have vamoosed!! haha

Gwen Buchanan said...

Hi Jaz... so cool you worked on the same creation Hands.. such symbolic meaning... it is a painting that my partner John did quite a few years ago. and for the garlic, we found a nearby business that does seafood compost and man is that stuff powerful... we hauled several trailer loads and tilled it into the garden.. It is like a secret weapon! and the weatherman has been threatening that we may see some snow Friday too... hope they are wrong!

^.^ said...

Friend Gwen. Regarding Keto. I start the day with a cup of green tea with lemon and a big mug of bullet proof coffee. Then I'm full til my eating window (1700 - 2300 hrs) and eat (most) veggies, fat meats and fat fish. For bread I make my own cloud bread or spelt bread. For fluids during the day it's green tea, lemon water and plain water. Since I never liked fruit/ fruit juices so it's easy to omit. For Mayo I make my own curry mayo. Same for salad dressings. Herbs and spices are my best friends :) I like fermented foods and anything pickled. :) Although not Keto, I eat onions and garlic because I simply could not live without them :) For fats I use olive oil or coconut oil plus I make my own ghee. For supplements I take USANA vitamins and minerals. For salt I use Brecht"s Herbal salt. I have been on OMAD and IF since July 2018. Before that my cholesterol was sky high, and I was on 2 statins. Now it is near normal, and I am off statins :) Am 5'10" and weigh 130 lbs. Mentally and physically I have never felt better in all my 64 years on this planet :) I follow Dr Sten Ekberg and Total Health with Dr Nick on YouTube. They are excellent teachers regarding the Keto life style. Love, cat. PS: If you are interested in Brecht's Herbal salt, let me know and I send you the address in Germany … it smells and tastes amazing :)

Gwen Buchanan said...

It really is a Lifestyle... and you are making very healthy choices. It is like a new rhythm... a revelation of common sense... we mostly did 18/6 with occasional 24 hr fast. we have added some potatoes back in and carrots... still having ACV occasionally. Feeling great and our clothes fit again. It has been an eye opening experience. keep enjoying life!!

sandy said...

I'm salivating look at that garlic. I really enjoyed the post.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Thanks Sandy. We are getting snow today... seems early but Nature does things the way she wants and when she wants.. hope you are well..

sandy said...

We got a fairly large storm early for our area also! We had been at the central coast (California) over Thanksgiving and came home to what the weather people called a snow cyclone - hundreds of trees down in our community alone - not counting the upper mountain communities at a higher altitude and no power or internt until yesterday. I love looking at your cozy life - when we sold in 2010 we went down from a large house to a much smaller one in the mountains and it's so great to have such leisure time without a lot of maintenance to do.