Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Flying Geese and the 8 Pointed Star Quilt


1st finished block... 18" square

This is the process of designing the Flying Geese and 8 Pointed Star quilt... from the Start of thinking up the design to making templates, marking the pieces, cutting,  sewing, making the blocks and hoping the whole project would turn out the way I hoped. It was pieced on several vintage and antique sewing machines and hand-quilted and bound.


overall if my figuring is correct I will need 2,088 cut pieces.... all scrappy pieces from my odds and ends of fabric gathered from here and there over the years..






loved using the old 1936 treadle in part of the process. The amazing oil painting on the back wall was created by my talented partner John Ackerson


small and fully packed and stacked sewing room .. tiny but mighty


"Inky" the inspector at work... she must inspect everything I make very closely


the back is always cool to see ... never to be seen again once the layers are put together


into my grandmother's quilt frames goes the backing..


the batting needs trimmed a bit... lots left for another quilt


Ready to begin hand quilting.... I just absolutely love it



the quilt was hand quilted from the outsides to the middle.. the last stitches are being put in here... next it will be ready to remove from the frames... next is the binding phase with mitered corners. machine sewn to the front of the quilt and then it is wrapped around the raw edge to the back and hand-stitched down.









"Baby Girl" kept distracting me as I stitched the binding by digging into a fluffy clean bag of sheep fleece... leave it to kitty to inspect everything and usually make a mess




Done...
I enjoyed every minute of working on this quilt.. it took a good long time to complete but that kept me from thinking about all the covid crap that was and still is taking place at the time.. 

I recommend everyone picking up some scissors and needles and thread and tackling a quilting project... feels so good to make things just the way you want.

Cheerio from the Desideratum studio in Douglas, New Brunswick

 

3 comments:

Guillaume said...

Gld to see you blogging again. You work very hard,I'm impressed. I wouldn't have the patience. And my hands are full of thumbs.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

this is just gorgeous. i wish i could make something like it!

Gwen Buchanan said...

hi Guillaume, Thanks for visiting.... I have been neglectful I'm afraid... I should make shorter posts more often... this crazy covid time seems to be messing time up.. cheers.

Hey Jaz, Thank you, I bet you could make anything... and it would turn out beautiful !!!