Tuesday, April 01, 2008

April Fools Day... by Mother Nature


April Fools!!! freshly fallen snow... Doesn't SHE know this is not funny anymore... How Cruel!


Yesterday, the fields and yard were almost empty of the white stuff... Hope was springing forth...

On awakening... Snow... and gray fog in the distance hanging over the bay... making the light very subdued... and the day sullen...

The "Tired Horse" hanging there is tired of it too...



Just yesterday, I was sitting in this nook... basking in the warmth of the sun... spying my daffodils and beebalms early growth... imagining my flowers sweet scent... thinking I'll be hanging up my hummingbird feeder soon, that's the pole there on the left... feeling so smug that spring was finally here...

Ohhh.... But Ol' Mother Nature... like a strict Queen still wants us to know that we must wait for her approval on when that day will arrive...



And there past the Virginia Creeper and the roses at the foot of the garden is the little greenhouse John built 2 years ago from a pile of old salvaged windows... not much light can pass through that thick layer of snow... waiting... waiting...



And then there is the spot where we sat out on Sunday happily oblivious to what was to fall from the sky... thinking Ahhhh, Spring is Here...


April Fools Day... right about now I'd rather take the trick the kids used to play on us... of salt in the sugar dish...

9 comments:

Ruth said...

It has been that kind of winter. One good thing is the beauty, as you show in these images. I don't recall a single day of "ugly brown snow." Just more and more snowfall, which I imagine you have gotten even more of there than here in MI. But winter has worn out her welcome. I hope spring will take her time coming, staying and going. Please, no 90 degree (um 32C) days after one week of spring!

The wide open space you have is gorgeous. That greenhouse is something we dream of at our little farm too.

sandy said...

I'd be tired of it too, but it sure looks pretty in your yard.

Our local mountains are going to get 10" fresh snow I think in the next few days and a week ago we had 90 degree temps.

s

Anne said...

I'd love to have some of your snow though I know how tiring it can be by now. I'm used to year round sun and my first winter in Massachusetts it snowed in May. To an L.A. girl May is the middle of summer already.

Your land sure is beautiful.

J said...

I spent my lunch hour overlooking the Pacific Ocean at Point Loma today, watching for migrating whales. I didn't even need a jacket. I had no idea that snow was still falling up your way.

Your acreage is beautiful, as is your home.

Oh, and I have a fascination with skulls also - I have a ceramic skull virtually identical to your excellent sketch right next to my monitor right now, within reach. I like the juxtaposition of the ultra modern computer with the ancient, time-worn skull.

Marie Alton said...

Here in Pickering we had 14 celsius but felt like half that with a blasting wind from the west...then after dinner dropped down to just above freezing and flurries! My tulips are screaming to get out of the ground...have 2" tips up ... so hoping that's a good sign. Most of the snow has melted...and rain yesterday has nearly maxxed out the creek bed at the foot of our drive...DH says he thinks it actually ran over the street last night...and definitely was over the banks earlier when I was coming home from work. The robins are back...so must be soon!

Gwen Buchanan said...

Well, this morning on awakening the snow is gone..well, most of it.. So it really was an April Fools Joke... Fooled me!!

Ruth, I can't wait to have some little green growth happening in my greenhouse...soon...maybe.. I should use it as a cold frame and start lettuce now...that would take the edge off this long cold spell

sandy, 90 deg... ohhh, I'm suffering... have a bit of pity!!

Anne, If I get more snow... I'm telling the weather man that you have requested it so he better shift his weather patterns. You're jewelry is fabulous!

Oh J, 'no jacket' I am starting to turn green...
... a fellow skull appreciator.. I have them scattered 'round the house... people prob. think I'm a witch...

Marie, hope the creek doesn't wash out your driveway. A month ago we had torrential rain that washed a huge section of ours out. yes the little robins are back... love that.

thank you all for your lovely comments.. you're sweet..

Anonymous said...

Well, I was coming to say I hope it melted.

We're getting leaves around here!

Louie In Seattle said...

I'll trade our rain for your snow any day. It did snow last Friday, and it was a beautiful sight, huge flakes floating down, trying to hide the ugly city streets.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Too late Louie, It's raining here too...

I know what you mean about clean, white, fluffy, snow making everything beautiful and pristine... but right around now I liken it to what a kid must feel like after collecting a sack of halloween candy and gourging themselves on it... probably don't want to see any candy for a long time

Aw Oh... some of those raindrops are starting to look kind of thick and white... please tell me I'm just seeing things