Sunday, February 20, 2011

Self-Portrait Linocut by Beck




I love Black and White...   I love Faces...  and I love the strength of these lines..

This is one of my favourite artworks....  It was done by my daughter, Rebecca.  






This piece hangs where I can see it when I enter the house... 

She stares across the room towards the front door... watching all who enter.
... rather like a Guardian...




 She hangs just above the steel wood rack ... the fuel for our homes hearth...
...perhaps she guards over our warmth too...

...oh and along with John who keeps the wood rack filled and the fires stoked.


Linocut self-portrait approx. size 6" x 9"...  
Antique frame 15" x 17".. used as I found it, chips and all... I like things that show their life ... 
...Hornet's nest and tiny bird nest on twig hang above.
... the heavy duty 5' tall wood rack, John made.

Rebecca lives happily in Saint John, New Brunswick with Stephen, Hannah, Callum and Ben... my darlings, All. 

.

4 comments:

sandy said...

beautiful piece and love the staircase.

Gwen Buchanan said...

thanks Sandy.

Anonymous said...

Love the black post on your staircase Gwen. Love the Linocut, very much Picasso in style. Nice in that spot.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Sheri, That post was made from 2 very different posts that were both too short for our liking for that spot...so we joined them together to make a more prominent landing post.... we joined them together with a very large dowel made from an old shovel handle that wore out when we were leveling the land all around the house when we were building it.. Thank you so much for noticing it!