Monday, February 17, 2020

The Cardinals and Doing Repairs




Surely was pleased to have my camera at hand when the Cardinals graced us with a visit. couldn't believe they stayed still long enough to get a picture.


Not the best capture as I had to move quick without scaring them being they are so very cautious. they come at times when not many birds are around the feeder and in dull gray light most often... very early mornings and near sunset.... so bright and beautiful. the pair are together here.

 ...later I decided it was about time for me to fix the worn edges, top and bottom of my much loved and used goose down puff..as I noticed escape down lately floating off everywhere.  I love that thing and could not bear the thought of throwing it away... it's so light and warm, like sleeping under a cloud and it has lasted for so very long... prob at least 20 years so far.  I'm using my 1973 Kenmore machine here...that makes her 47 yrs young. bought second hand before I moved from St. Martins.. love tools that last as well... works great

I went to my fabric stash and found some cotton of as close a colour as I could and in enough yardage and made a wide band to cover both worn edges... was rather bulky to manipulate but I managed to finish the job . I'm so glad I saved it.. now it's ready for another 20 years.. ha. hope so.
cheerio  

8 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

each year the cardinals build nests in the arborvitae along my driveway. every time i pull in the driveway i am lead by a flock of cardinals flying right in front of me. then when i get out of the car, they yell at me until i am back in the house. i have about 30 of them.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Jaz, you are blessed indeed.. what a welcome home you get... and burst of colour!!! I love their voices... can always tell when they are around by their distinctive call. I'm surprised this pair stay here with the temps we receive in the winter. Thank you for sharing your cardinals story

Guillaume said...

I love the cardinals. Wish we had some here. Although we have plenty of nice birds, like magpies.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Oh I would love to see a magpie and learn about their habits. I should take some pictures of the family of crows every morning for some treats. but they are pretty wary too.

Rain said...

That's a beautiful blanket, good thing you were able to save it! Oh the cardinals are gorgeous, I can rarely get a photo of them because they are so quick to fly away!!

Gwen Buchanan said...

Thanks so much Rain... I'm looking forward to be outside more when spring comes to hear their distinctive chirping in the trees

sandy said...

Great to rehab this wonderful blanket. I have one tha if it tears I'll have to do the same thing. I've had it since 2005 and all the grandkids when they were little and now even as teens, the love the "Gramma" blanket when they come to visit or spend the night.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Sandy, they last a very long time with care. I love that