Friday, June 26, 2020

Tiny Scrappy 9-Patch





The scrappy " 9-Patch" in the frames... love using up small pieces..
waste not - want not...


my planning stage for the quilt top.. below are the steps it took to get to the first picture. 



using the 1963 Bernina knee controlled machine here.. she's a beauty, I found second hand. well all my machines are second hand.



each 9-patch block is made up of 9 1" colourful squares



making the window pane strips.. these strips finish at 1/2" wide. I like using the little squares on the corners as it helps the blocks match up easier when sewing the long panels together.


used several sewing machines during the making of this quilt top. here is the 1936 Singer treadle


think I am using the 1973 kenmore here



below I am pressing the back of the entire top... I pressed each block as I sewed them as I went along but this will be the final pressing before it goes into the frames.. The back is interesting to look at too.




a little up close view of the work



the frames I used.
 the ones with the green fabric attached were my grandmothers


  
these are the stands. very simple to make and they just slot together. we just made them up quickly from some old boards in the shed



pinning in the back... I used a red and white striped sheet.. no seams


antique clamps I found at a flea market


old pack of quilting needles I found in the drawer of a sec. hand sewing machine..
 only 47 cents for 20 needles.. quite a bargain.. never see that price again


when it was first put in the frames..
 now many hours of happy quilting. and trying to forget the crazy things that are going on in the world outside. and hoping for better things to come..
I love this simple patterned quilt
Cheerio All

16 comments:

George said...

Wow, Gwen! That is really stunning. Don't know how you do it, but the result is simultaneously beautiful and interesting. I know what you mean when you speak of your creativity being a way "to forget the crazy things that are going on in the world outside." That's the way I approach my photography. It is more than making photographs; it is a meditative practice. It's about the process more than the product.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Absolutely George, it is all about the process... meditative and focused... an escape into the farther places of ones mind.

Guillaume said...

Wow! You don't go half way when you do quilting!

Gwen Buchanan said...

Hey Guillaume, I only make patterns that I really love so it's easy to getreally involved with them.. and it makes me forget for a while all the media's gobbleleegook... ha

sandy said...

I can hardly imagine ever having the patience and talent to do something like this. It's so beautiful. shaking my head, truly, ...llike wow.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Sandy, you're too complimentary... when you're a hermit, you need to fill your time with something.. ha

Dee said...

Oh my, that is so lovely! I am also a hermit, but haven't yet produced anything that spectacular. I will say though, that my garden has never been so well tended...

Gwen Buchanan said...

Hi Dee, Thank you so very much.... I know what you mean about having a well tended garden, esp. this year.. about all there has been to do .. mine too is the best ever.. at least it has the least weeds... eating from it now..

Rain said...

Hi Gwen :) WOW...that is beautiful! And so much work. I can see your love for your art in the results. How nice, that's a great skill to have. Btw, Alex and I moved to NB :) We are in Queen's County and so far loving it. :)

Gwen Buchanan said...

Hey Rain, wow you have moved to NB.... !! we are in York Co. just one county between us. ... we should get together!

Rain said...

Neat Gwen! I'm so new to this province that I had to look up York County. I see where you are. :) I lived in Moncton as a teenager but my gosh have things changed. We mostly head down to the Saint John area to do major shopping. Friday I get to change my driver's license and plates, yahoo! :) Happy Canada Day and cheers to us meeting up one day! :)

Gwen Buchanan said...

Rain, I forgot to say "Welcome back" to the province. Saint John use to be my goto city when I lived in St. Martins on the bay of Fundy. and my daughter lives in Saint John. wishing you major happiness at your new home, Cheers!

The Happy Whisk said...

I am blown away by your talent. I loved seeing all these photos. Found you at Rain's page. All those little squares, just brilliant. I have a Halloween blanket that I want to make with three different patterns but have not started it yet as we are in the middle of reno/demo stuff right now but I just love to sew. It's so relaxing and fun.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Hi Happy Whisk,,, gotta keep the creative juices flowing.. Thanks so much.. renoing is messy but so exciting.. good luck

Kim Carney said...

I LOVE that!!!

Gwen Buchanan said...

To: Kim Carney, I have always loved the work you do.. so much talent and imagination!!!