Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Dragonfly




The Dragonfly....

...the European Club-tailed Dragonfly to be exact....
..the name refers to the unusually large abdomen of the males, just in front of the apex... giving it a club appearance...


The patrollers of the summer lawn...

back and forth ..... back and forth ....
in rhythmic patterns, almost in grid formation...
monitoring every square inch of the yard and surrounding fields...


Beautiful creatures...

but they surely must appear as "Dragons" in flight to any small unsuspecting insects.

Look out below!




approx. 3" x 5" on 140 lb. arches watercolor paper. I used brush, pen, India ink, washes

4 comments:

David Berube BerubeArt said...

Beautiful job, I love this one, but of course you already know how partial I am to all kinds of bugs/creatures.

I did my version of Dragonflies inspired by sitting in Central park a few years ago. I remember it as if it was yesterday, the image was so impressive. It was October 1st, unusually warm so I decided to go for a walk to the park. As I sat on the edge of a group of baseball diamonds just inside the park at the southernmost edge I kept thinking that I saw flashes of light just above the fields. It suddenly became obvious to me what it was as a Dragonfly flew by directly in front of me. The sunlight of the late warm October day was reflecting off of the metallic bits of the Dragonflies wings and because there were 100's of them racing across the field it was flash after flash after flash..

Gwen Buchanan said...

What a sight that must have been! Just the right time of day to have the light reflected like that. Must have been magical...

Anonymous said...

Gwen... another stunning piece! Do you sell them? I'd be hard pressed to say which of these I like best... and I'm sort of surprised how much I like them, as I am not much of a bug loving kind of gal, but I really do! I'm quite envious of your talent... all my best, K.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Kathy, I never knew how much I liked bugs till I started looking closely, now I am fascinated by them. When you live in as rural a place as this... nature has a way of directing our attention,... thank you so much for your kind comments, gwen

ps. I didn't know I would like rats either (till Max got some for pets) but they are so cute.