Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Window Seat


Early morning light from the east...

The view from our jewelry/art studio out through the gothic doorway we made, into the bath.... leads to a 5' wide bay window seat where you can sit & gaze easterly to a field & southerly to the sea.....

When we were designing and building our house we tried to pay attention to the long views, of looking through openings and on to other openings, so our view kept on going, on ... on. Maybe it is the crazy artistic bent we are always on .... never realizing how much longer it will take to achieve.... just the thought of nothing else will do... we get a vision into our head ...  then "the one-track mind" takes over. I would rather go without food & sleep than not pursue an idea.... sometimes the idea works ... if not, we learned from it.....

The first time I read this statement by Victor Hugo.... I knew it completely...

........"Invasions of Armies can be resisted but not Invasions of Ideas"...


...yes,  I have used this quote before... but I love it... and I feel it...




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I could do this time was let out a big sigh.

David Berube BerubeArt said...

Your home becomes more and more magical with each detail revealed!!!
Very inspiring.

flyinamber said...

Oh yes Gwen,I agree with Victor Hugo's statement..I have always an invasion of Ideas in my head!
Like your home very much-great idea of long views and of looking through openings!
Thank you of your kind words for Tea-her teachers who are academic artists are very satisfied with her work.
Please tell Max that I love reptiles too and I'm not afraid of them at all..those little lizards on my blog are here known as "wall lizards" (lat.Locerta agilis) and are completely harmless.Have a nice week!

Gwen Buchanan said...

Thank you, it is a labor of love

Marie Alton said...

Oh boy Gwen...that is a fabulous view...and I so know what you're talking about when an idea gets in your head! The vision thing...consumes me at times. Last night and today were times like that...thinking outside the circle...not the box! Made 7 pieces because of it! Crazy! Had to talk to myself sternly and force myself to do some actual work...gotta post my schedule tomorrow...and as of 3pm had not started! Glad to report that I managed it all...with time to post!

Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Wow! Great great view on this Gwen. Amazing what you guys did looking at all the pictures. Has a beautiful airy feel. I can see why you are so multitalented. I'll really have to take a bunch of time and just go through your whole blog.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Thanks Bob, To have the freedom to create the ideas that come into your mind is so liberating.