Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Beloved Scavenger


Crows are scavengers. Entertaining scavengers at that.......

The whole act of scavenging is entertaining and rewarding. Be it done by a crow or a human being. Being able to get what you need by seeing value in things that have been tossed away or abandoned, is something I admire...... & live by.

This collaged crow came to life from black printed advertisement pages of an old magazine. I rather liked the way the white of the paper was exposed when the paper was torn to represent the sheen of the feathers.

I guess I also like the fact that I created a "scavenging' crow from "scavenging" old magazines & it was entertaining the whole while..... plus I was rewarded with a little crow.

approx. 3½" x 4¾" on watercolor card stock

3 comments:

Seth said...

Very cool piece. Love the beak!

ArtPropelled said...

Wonderful! I also love scavenging, hunting and gathering.

My favourite bird is the owl which I was lucky enough to rear as a teenager. Living on the farm, the farm workers were always arriving with injured or abandoned birds for me to mend or rear.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Oh Robyn, you were so lucky to have such close contact with these beautiful birds... We hear them at midnight ( I love walking in the still dark quietness) sometimes when we walk down the street of the small village we live on the edge of... Who-whooing back and forth from the tree tops to the rooftops.. I always hoo back to them and they answer me back.. at least I like to believe they are answering me...